Sunday, November 16, 2014

Week 6: Project implementation



Now, it’s time to put everything together in practice! I started implementing my project last Thursday. I was really excited to live it and see the impact it would have on the students. As I mentioned in the nicenet discussion last week, I was hesitating between the use of Blog and Vocaroo as a tool to cope with my class issue, but in the end, I have decided to use both of them for my project. I already checked all the materials in the computer lab and they are still in a good condition, which can allow the students to have good quality recordings. Therefore last Thursday, I started by introducing Blog to my students. I had already asked them about blog before, and they had known it but only few of my students had already used it. So, I took them to the computer lab and I made a short presentation about blog as reinforcement of what they already knew. I showed them my blog. They seemed really interested in it and I was very excited and happy. I thought it was a good start.  To continue, I gave them handouts on how to create a blog. We went through the readings and then after that, it was time to practice. I had them create their blogs by following step by step the instructions given in the handouts. They enjoyed creating it and more interaction could be seen among the students asking for help from each other and checking each other’s blogs. They seemed more motivated, relaxed and enjoyed the session.  They even said it should have been introduced to them earlier, at the beginning of the term. I already expected their reactions as my students have always enjoyed discovering and experiencing new things and in addition, it was technology related.

For last Friday, we went on with our normal class. I made a presentation about American wedding customs through a short video viewing. We also had vocabulary building activities. Then, I had them compare American and Malagasy customs as regards wedding. Then they paired up with another student and discussed the similarities and differences they’ve found. I also asked them which one they liked, the American customs or the Malagasy ones. And finally, I gave them time to think about their dream wedding: what it would be like.  All these were done orally to prepare them for the questionnaire I’m going to give them in the next session, and the answers of which they will record on Vocaroo. I hope everything will always go well and the project will be a success.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful update regarding your final project! I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to witness your students creating their blogs and helping one another. It excites me just thinking about it.

    The in class activity that was the basis for the Vocaroo recording sounds great, as well. You are utilizing these tools in excellent ways. I am confident you will see more progress and enthusiasm from your students.

    Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete